Thursday, February 23, 2012

Scientific Study: Maturity


Last night my roommate c-beer and I were talking and the topic of boys came up. {I apologize Bechdel test} C-beer told me of a conversation she recently had with her friend Nick. They had been talking about how much girls mature between the ages of 20 and 21. Basically part of Sophomore year to Junior year of college. C-beer told me of this rate of maturity Nick was describing- basically the progression of how boys and girls mature from high school to college graduation.

This is what they came up with

**

You'll note that there is a major spike in boy's maturity between the ages of 19 and 21- as this is a speculation on boys at BYU it is important to realize that boys usually go on LDS missions at this point which kind of throws them into adulthood/maturity. But don't worry- they go right back to being 21 year old boys pretty quickly after they get back.

You'll also notice that girls tend to mature at a more rapid rate between the ages of 19 and 21 as well. LDS missions for girls are not until the girl turns 21 so while all the guys from freshman year leave for two years the girls are left behind to deal with all the boys in their grade who are two years older than them. I'll break it down.

Freshman year: Boys 18 / Girls 18
Sophomore year: Boys 21 / Girls 19
Junior year: Boys 22 / Girls 20
Senior year: Boys 23 / Girls 21
2nd Senior year: Boys 23-... / Girls 22-...

Girls are almost forced into a rapid maturation to deal with the new pool of boys to socialize with and date. It's almost like being thrown into a pool of man-eating {or woman-eating} sharks and not knowing how to swim. The little floaties your freshman bishop gave you aren't quite enough to keep you from sinking.
It's really quite fun- trust me {...sarcasm, don't trust me- it was a joke}
But that in my personal opinion is why girls do mature so much between 19-21

What was my contribution to the conversation on boys? It is best described in song. Enjoy!

**not actually a scientific study... complete speculation/bias. all that jazz
Also idea completely came from C-beer's friend Nick Nickslastname

3 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed that you referenced fMh. BECHELL TEST!

    This is interesting. But what explains the downward spike in boys after missions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girl please- Bechdel test is from my soc of gender class- just sparked in my memory again from FMH- gotta love it.

      and downward fall when they get back is the fact that they are still boys I guess

      Delete
  2. Don't worry, I've been listening to this song on repeat for like the past hour or something. Love it girl, love it.

    ReplyDelete