Sunday, February 5, 2012

The problem with being 20 and single...

I am fortunate enough to have a very close knit extended family. Tonight at family dinner (at grandpa/uncle Bob's) we had my aunt and uncle and their two kids; two of my second-cousins-once-removed and their wives (second-cousin-once-removed-in-law?); my first-cousin-once-removed and wife (first-cousin-once-removed-in-law?); and my second cousin (no wife). My second cousin is only a few years older than me and we look nothing alike- why would we?

So I'm eating at a table with my s-c-o-r and my s-c-o-r-i-l and my grandma and we start talking. Some how my adventures in Jerusalem come up but then the conversation dies down and during a pause one of my s-c-o-r's asks "so is he {referring to my second cousin} from the Jerusalem program?"...

**insert awkward pause here**

So the only way to respond of course is "Oh, Chad- no. He's my cousin. You're related to him too". Honest mistake- the only two single people over the age of 20 at a family dinner where we haven't seen everyone (or met everyone) in over 6 months- it was bound to happen. No harm, no foul- just a funny story.

tee hee hee, ho ho ho, ha ha ha, snort

Of course then the conversation led to "so are you still writing that missionary?"

Happy February!

ps: in case you missed it, the problem with being 20 and single (and really one of few problems) is that your second-cousins-once-removed think you're dating your single second cousin... which I guess technically is legal...

No comments:

Post a Comment