Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Personal History- Valentines Day 2

Freshman year of college and I had a boyfriend- my first and only boyfriend {to date} and also the first boy I ever loved. We had been officially dating for 2 months and on our 2 month marker {anniversary just sounds weird} he brought me homemade chocolate chip cookies, a mix CD, and he told me he loved me. This was just a few days before Valentines Day that year and it is a memory that today I still cherish because at that time I was in love with my best friend {and the cookies were delicious}.
We didn't do much for Valentines Day. V-day was on a Sunday so we went out to dinner Saturday night {the malt shop in Provo} and came back to my apartment and just hung out with our friends. We actually ended up making this really embarrassing short video about apples to apples or something {it wasn't my idea}. On Sunday Dan and I sat next to each other at church and went to my grandparents for dinner. I think we might have even gone to a fireside {I know there was one going on but I don't remember if we went} and later that night we watched Monsters Inc. I know romantic, right?

The other thing I remember about that Valentines Day is that I had decided to make it more of a "thanking of the people I loved/appreciated" holiday. I went to the store and bought cards for my physical therapist from that year and took the office some chocolate and I bought my grandparents some flowers just to say thanks for being such amazing people and helping me while I was in Provo. I also made a cake and cupcakes just to have around the house and give people because my mom sent me a mix and cool heart shaped cake pan.

This part of that valentines day is my favorite part now because it reminds me of the amazing people I have in my life and that I am consistently around people that I love. I do love valentines day- not just because of the cheesy movies or chocolates and flowers but because it is a time to appreciate the people you love in your life. This specific valentines day also helps me remember that I don't need a boyfriend to have a good valentines day- not that I didn't enjoy every minute of Monsters Inc. and I did love Dan- but valentines day is more than that. It really is about all of the people you love.

My cake and one cupcake

I can't believe I'm putting this picture up- embarrassing

Oh did I mention I also gave blood that weekend for the first time and they totally screwed up-
yup, still haven't quite mentally recovered from have a needle moved around inside my arm

Happy Valentines Day

No comments:

Post a Comment