Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ode to Hannah

My little sister Hannah turns 16 on Friday and I am entirely NOT okay with it. Hannah and I are about 7 years apart so I'm only really used to her being a child and 16 is officially no longer a child. Hannah will be dating and driving and who knows what else. So here, on this blog, are my thoughts on Hannah. 

We'll start from the beginning.

About 17.5 years ago I was an only child. I remember specifically all my friends had siblings and I was just lonely. I wanted someone to sit in the back seat of the car with and I wanted a friend. I wanted a sister/brother. I had been taught from a young(er) age that God heard my prayers and that they would be answered so I went into my room and knelt down and prayed for a little sister/brother. I didn't know until much later that my parents had been trying to have another baby and that my mom was having a hard time getting pregnant but about a year later my mom told me she was going to have a baby. I was so excited to have a little sister. I don't remember much about my mom's pregnancy but I remember when Hannah was born and going to my babysitter's house and watching Hercules and eating Mac & Cheese and then my dad came and picked me up to go see my new little sister. I remember holding her and I remember playing with her as a baby. I remember I got really mad at my parents because they told me I could help give her a bath and then they didn't come get me so I didn't get to help. I just wanted to spend all my time with her and take care of her. She wasn't their baby, she was my sister. 

Now this sounds like I was a wonderful big sister but about the time Hannah started voicing her opinion and acting for herself I stopped being a good big sister. I think it started when Hannah was beating my head against the floor with my ponytail- so about a year old I think... I don't remember that incident but I think we can blame that on Hannah. Hannah and I would butt heads (less literally) for the greater part of our childhood, not horribly, but we were never super close. It's hard to be close when you're 10 and 3 or 16 and 9. 

Hannah grew up spunky and fearless and full of energy. She would run in circles around our house and until you found her asleep on the floor. She would try anything and generally she would be great at it. She was smart and funny and could do pretty much anything she set her mind to. She is still that way, she's one of "those" people. Jerk. 

Hannah was just becoming fun when I moved to college. She was 11 and I was 18. By the time she was 13 she was much more fun and we started to get along really well. She was/is very grown up. We liked the same TV shows, music, movies. We finally had things to do together and talk about. It took about 12 years but we were finally friends. 

Today I consider Hannah one of my best friends and a wonderful role model. She has grown into a wonderful teenager. She is kind and a good friend. She is intelligent and funny and strives to do her best. She is everything I wanted to be in high school and what I want to be now. I am so lucky that my prayers were answered with my wonderful sister Hannah, I couldn't ask for a better little sister. Even though I hate that she's growing up, I'm really excited for Hannah and I to grow closer as she becomes more of an adult. I'm excited for her to start dating and I'm going to start saving money to make sure I can fly up to Washington to beat up any boys that break her heart. I'm excited for her to become more independent, if that's even possible, and for her to really grow into herself and become the amazing woman I know she will be. 

Hannah, I love you so much and even though I was a pretty crappy sister growing up I have always loved being your older sister. I wish you the happiest birthday and I wish I could be there to celebrate it with you. I hope only good things ever happen to you in life but know that I (and Dan) will be there for you no matter what happens. Love you and happy birthday from your favorite big sister!

















Love you HanBanan!

No comments:

Post a Comment