Thursday, March 13, 2014

My Thoughts on Equality a la Ainsley Hayes

Lately I've just kind of been in a tizzy over all of this Mormon women and the priesthood and equality thing. It really happens twice a year with General Conference and women wanting to go to priesthood session and all that stuff. This time around though I've been reading an amazing book "The Beginning of Better Days". It's basically sermons from the Prophet, Joseph Smith directed to the Relief Society with two essays on women and the priesthood by Virginia Pearce and Sheri Dew. I'm not quite through Sister Dew's essay but so far I'm just in love. It says everything I want to say, but it says it more eloquently and just says and knows more. It's great. Read it. Now. You can borrow my copy when I'm done. 

Anyway, with that book, the NYTimes article, and various conversations I've had I'm just in a tizzy about all this. I have strong opinions on Mormon women and the priesthood, a lot of women do. There are a lot of opinions to be had on the issue and a lot of issues surrounding the issue. It's just too much darling, too much. But in this post I will try to voice what I feel as an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and a woman and a feminist. 

Sometimes it is hard being a woman. Sometimes it's hard being a Mormon woman. Sometimes it's hard being a semi-liberal feminist Mormon woman, especially here in Provo. I don't hold a lot of the same ideals as a lot of people around me, or even as those who might classify themselves the same way I do. If you know me, like really know me, you know that I really really like the show West Wing. If I had to choose a favorite character, and it's a really hard decision, I would have to say it is Ainsley Hayes (who is actually a republican ). There's a part where she talks about why she doesn't support the ERA and it's fabulous, but the same logic Ainsley Hayes a la Aaron Sorkin uses also works to explain why I will not push for women to be ordained to the priesthood. Here is my/my mom's edited version for this purpose, "it's humiliating to ask for an ordination 'declaring' that I am equal to men in God's eyes. I am mortified to discover there is a reason I wasn't before. I am a full member of the church, I am not a special subset in need of protection. I do not need to have my rights handed down by man. The same priesthood that blesses them blesses me, and I went to the Temple and studied my scriptures just to make sure". 

I am proud to be a member of a church that makes hard decisions. A church that not only has a righteous doctrine but also maintains their beliefs even when it is unpopular. A church that will not change its stance on issues even though it may cause church membership to go down. I am proud to belong to a church that only changes according to modern revelation and not according to the requests of the public. This is why I will not press for ordination of women or to be admitted to priesthood session of conference. I want my ordination to come from God not man. If there comes a time when God reveals that women are to be ordained to the priesthood I will follow and I will receive it with joy, but it will not change my equality with men in His eyes because I always have been equal to men.

No comments:

Post a Comment