Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012

Happy New Year Everyone!!

I can only say that I am thoroughly boring so far this year. Last night was spent at a family friends place sans  a greatly desired NYE kiss from a distant boyfriend. Today was spent packing, traveling, and I'm sure will commence with unpacking and watching something on Netflix. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the pace tomorrow since I start back up at Clear Horizons Academy with my babies {still not actually babies}

2012 was full of ups and downs that is for sure.

Winter semester was a sort of limbo stage for me. I had just gotten back from Jerusalem and my only friends were really my roommates from Jerusalem and friends from EFY. I dated and undated and redated and stopped dating. I spent lots of time learning how to cook and wearing cute clothes and doing homework. I also started to babysit a little boy named Fawkes who goes to the school I currently work at. It was winter semester that I fell in love with kids and especially kids with autism. I started volunteering at the school regularly and loved building a relationship with these amazing spirits.

Spring semester was interesting. It wasn't really real. I lived with my old jerusalem roomie in a semi dump. I kind of went to school ("took classes" online) and I kind of worked (babysat for Fawkes' Brother Kian and volunteered more regularly at CHA). I kept myself busy with those things and 30 Rock and books. I joined a book club! For a month and read John Steinbecks'  East of Eden. I didn't date. And then I started EFY. I did a week of training and then a week of work as a counselor in Provo and then it was summer.

Summer was a blur. I made amazing friends and people I will call my family forever I hope. I learned a lot about Christ, I experienced the atonement, I learned to love and be patient, I became inpatient, I learned to ask for forgiveness, and I learned to stand up for myself. I learned how to teach and to talk to people about the gospel. Summer of 2012 I learned how to exist. Just purely exist. This summer was semi-magical and semi-horrific. Isn't it always though?

I never ever ever ever ever would have planned out the Fall semester I had. I would have planned a long distance relationship, or a new relationship all together, or just focusing on my work and school and friends semester. I would never have planned to start dating Dan. Dan and I dated our freshman year and I sent him off on his mission. About 16 months into his mission though he wrote me off. It was while I was in Galilee. I was sad to say the least but I had come to terms with it and I didn't think nor really want to date Dan again. Before school started Dan called me and asked me if I would go on a date with him- for old times sake. I said yes because, really, what was the worst thing that could happen. Well that date, we both agree, was the most awkward date of our lives. Neither of us could talk and neither of us really knew what to do. I was semi-dating someone and Dan had only been home a month. I sound jerky saying this but he still liked me and I was still heartbroken and stubborn. I ended the date saying I still wanted to be friends and maybe see if we started dating again. Dan ended the date thinking I was full of it. I extended a hand of friendship a couple of times but each time they were accepted it was with some obvious forced duty. Eventually the guy I was semi-dating, out of the blue, stopped talking to me and Dan was extending the hand of friendship to me (all in the same weekend). We started hanging out more, every day actually. We'd go out on dates or hang out and then go on other respective dates with other people. Not to sound haughty but we were both in pretty high demand ;). But we'd get home and hang out with each other again. Finally Dan was the voice of reason and threw me an ultimatum I knew we had to come to but was trying to delay it as long as possible. Either we date or we don't. We chose to date. I never would have chosen to date Dan again on my own terms but that's not how my life works usually. I can honestly say that Dan is the best thing in my life and I love him. He is my best friend, the sweetest guy I have ever met, and a goof ball to match me. He makes me smile, he makes me laugh, he makes me want to be better because he is so good. I am so glad that I don't decide my fate because I'm pretty stupid and extremely stubborn.

Thank you 2012 for being so difficult and not doing anything I wanted you to do. You knew better.

But 2013... I hope we have the same plans in mind...
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment