Friday, September 9, 2011

I've only been here a week and I'm running out of titles...

This could be a potential problem. I apologize in advance for when my titles start to sound extremely boring or repetitive. So I blogged two days ago but it turns out I jumped the gun a bit because I didn't get a chance to blog about dinner. I think because most of us had been here about a week they figured that we were getting home sick and made chicken and fries! I know, so exciting. But really, I had been missing fries and now I'm really glad I don't have to go all the way to west Jeru to go to McD's to french fries when I fail a test or something. More on the food, and just so you know I'm not only focusing on the familiar foods, we had falafel for lunch yesterday- it was so good! They had giant pita things and falafel balls and fries and hummus. It was really quite delicious.

Classes are getting more interesting every day. I wish I had studied more about history and geography of the area before I had come, I feel like I would be able to understand more about what people are talking about if I had. The center really does provide a way to gain a lot of information/insight into the cultures that are here. It focuses equally on the Palestinian and Jewish (cultural- not so much religion) information. That was actually a standard set for the center when it was first an idea. I think that has really made the center a neutral place and a benefit to the community here. We don't take sides in the conflict but we provide resources to the general public. There are constantly tours going on here and the center even puts on concerts. Last night was a Jazz concert and featured the most amazing musician I have ever heard. He's a 15 year old pianist that has been playing piano by ear since he was 6 months old. I'm not even sure if that's possible. He was the most adorable little pianist I have ever seen! There were tons of people there though just from around the area- some of them come to all of the concerts that the center puts on. The concerts or public events that go on here are never religious because that would be breaking our agreement to be here but creating that bond with the public and having them think of us in a positive way makes it easier for Mormons in general to be here. I have walked past many a shop where the shop owner will yell out "Mormons welcome here! Welcome to Jerusalem" or when I ask the price for something they say "well the Mormon price is $___" The people here are so kind to us and they are very fun to talk to.

Those are just my most recent thoughts on Jerusalem. I'm still loving it here! Every aspect. I'll get more pictures up soon- I promise. We have a field trip to the Western Wall today so that should be really interesting. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment