Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Training update

Because you all care :) this is an update on  how training is going

Well, training is training.

Here is my background in running. I did track when I was like 8-10 with a community track team. The Gliders I think? I'm probably making that up. Anyway, I never really liked it. I was pretty young on the team and also pretty slow. I couldn't do the sprints like most of the kids my age so I would do distance (the one mile). I would be running the mile with people a year or two older than me so in my age group I always won! Seriously, if you look at my medals/ribbons for races I have a ton of blue/1st place ribbons but those were all from races where I was the only person in the race in my age group. In any race that I ran with my age group I got like 8th or last/participant. (plenty of those ribbons as well btw.) So basically I always hated running.

Fast forward a few years and I was in high school PE and I could pretty much always run a mile because that's all you had to do. My running career consisted of whatever PE teachers forced us to do and volleyball practice. Basically nonexistent because running is the worst ever.

I held the same opinion of running while in college and went running a total of... 3 times, maybe, in the 5 years I was at BYU. Not including running 5ks for 4th of July and Thanksgiving with my family. By this last year I could barely run 1 mile straight and I was okay with that.

I've already gone over my crazy period where I decided to become a temporary runner so I won't go over that but here's how it has gone so far.

I can't say that I love running. BUT I also can't say that I hate running. I'm still slow, but I'm getting faster. I still can't run very far but I can run more than a mile, easy. In the past 3 weeks I've basically gone from only being able to run 1.5 miles straight to being able to run 4 miles straight. The 4 miles is still hard but I can run 3 miles with no problem.

YOU GUYS! I CAN RUN A 5K NO PROBLEM!

This is a first. I have seriously ran like 10 5Ks in my life and have NEVER been able to run the whole thing. And now I'm like, yeah I'm gonna go on a quick little 3.25 mile run just to get a good run in and not ruin my training.

Does it feel good yet... no. Does it feel bad... still yes. But not as bad.

So basically training is going well. The goal for this weekend's long run is 5 miles straight. The goal by the race is to be able to run 6 miles straight.

I did totally biff it on my run this morning. This morning's 5K, which I decided to do as a light run (WHO AM I???) I started of good. I use the Map My Run app and have it tell me pace/distance every .5 miles because I can't stand to wait longer than that. I was keeping a good pace. 1st half mile was 11:13, 2nd was like 10:48. I maintained about an 11:00 minute pace almost to the 2.5 mile. The trail I run has some good gradual hills and then one really steep hill that I run down and a less steep hill I run up and they're both really rocky so you have to watch your step, especially going down because you're just flying. On the steep down hill I wasn't paying attention and my foot caught a rock and I went down and rolled. Luckily there were two construction workers right at the bottom of the hill to watch me go down the hill. I had one head phone in but could hear them ask if I was okay. All I could do was just lie there and reorient myself. Once I realized I was okay and not breathing in dirt (and that my phone wasn't broken) I got up and told them I was fine. They probably think I'm insane and uncoordinated. They asked if I needed a ride back and I declined, really I was fine. And then, like a crazy running person I took off to finish the last 3/4ths of a mile. Finished that at a pretty good pace too :) but that's because it was down hill. Running back was super fun because I was COVERED in dirt which was slowly turning into mud with my sweat. Yum. Mud sweat.

After getting back to my apartment I was able to analyze the damage a bit better. Nothing too bad, a scrapped knee and shoulder, and some good bruises. Nothing too bad and mainly just sore but I was filthy. Some how dirt had gotten into everything so I was just muddy and dusty.

Here's the thing, I'm probably gonna go running again tomorrow... just probably not running down the same hill. Again... WHO AM I???

2 comments:

  1. This is so hilarious! You are an awesome writer. Thanks for updating the blog so I can know what's going on in your California life! :)

    ReplyDelete