Friday, September 13, 2013

I'm trying to be like Heidi

One of my favorite people in the world is Heidi Beck. She is the most sincere and kind person I have ever had the pleasure of being friends with. Everywhere she went and every person she came in contact with she made feel special. She had a genuine compliment for every person- "you have the most amazing eyes" "I love your outfit" "You have beautiful hair" "You are the sweetest". To everyone- and I mean everyone. Not just people she knew but people she passed on the street, cashiers, waiters, old and young, male and female. She was one of those people that just made your day a million times better.

Heidi recently moved to Alaska- pray that she doesn't get eaten by a bear or freeze to death- to work as a flight attendant for Alaska Airlines. If you've had an amazing flight attendant it was probably Heidi- if it wasn't her your flight attendant wasn't that amazing. I've been missing her like crazy and not for my compliments but Provo just isn't as kind or as good of a place without her. I want to be like Heidi- I want to make someone feel good about themselves and really mean it. I don't want to reserve kind comments for friends and family- I want to make everyone around me feel special. The problem is I'm shy and I don't like talking to strangers. So it is my goal to compliment, genuinely compliment, at least one person every single day.

It has been a goal for a little while- maybe a week or two- and I'm getting more consistent with it and it has been so fun. I feel happier, I want to do more service like physical service for people, I feel better about myself.

If anyone is reading this, try it out- compliment 1 stranger, just once. I think if everyone did this, if everyone were more like Heidi, the world would be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment