Thursday, December 8, 2011

Count down 7

One week left? What de heck!?!?

Such a great day of doing absolutely nothing. (okay it was great aside from the studying I did/didn't do)

Woke up with 10 minutes left of breakfast (definitely excited about not having to be awake at a certain time to receive my daily rations) so I literally rolled out of bed got dressed/put my hair up in record time and ran up the stairs to get breakfast. Then we had choir practice for our Christmas concert. I then went out to the city and just explored more of East Jerusalem and got some delicious pastries. 3 pastries for 2 shekels? I'm going to miss how cheap things are here (that's like... 60 cents by the way)
That was followed by lunch, studying, a short nap, more studying, and then....
MAKING COOKIES!!! (literally)
Lauren's mom sent us stuff to make cookies with and we just used the Bentley's (service couple) kitchen. It was quite the adventure trying to figure out the Hebrew on the butter/conversion rates/how to work the oven. It was so fun baking (for the first time in like 6 months might I add) and getting to know Brother Bentley. The service couples/teachers here are absolutely amazing. There are 4 service couples: The Ohmans (organist/music), the Bentley's (Humanitarian mission), the Skinners (field trip teacher), and the Chapmans (doctor). President Ohman is like one of the top 3 organists in the world/nation(USA)- what's the difference right?- cue Bashir Bashir saying something about being reductionist/redactionist/redundant/etc. by the way that was a joke... But seriously he's one of the top organists. Brother Bentley was/is a lawyer and specializes in law with Joseph Smith- he's actually working on the Joseph Smith Papers. Brother Skinner might be one of the most intelligent and funniest men I have ever met and Sister Skinner is just the sweetest (as are all the women here). The Chapmans are one of the cutest couples I have ever seen- I honestly believe that they are just eternal young adults whose bodies just keep getting older while their spirits/personalities just stay 25.

These amazing people are my "count down 7" thing I will miss. The Skinners are leaving tomorrow as they were only here for 6 months though they will be back at some point to complete a mission here. All of the couples here are essential to this experience and this study abroad would not have been nearly as amazing with out them. I'll talk about the teacher another time... maybe after I get my final grades back. Though just for future reference they are all amazing whether my grades reflect it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment